Friday, January 2, 2009

Wonders of nature with the dogs

Down the river with the dogs where we venture each morning and if time permits each night too. They love to run and swim. I enjoy walking around with them and Samroc gets great exercise for his back swimming after the ball.












So the other day we're all down there and I have Samroc's daughter Jazz staying here too to make the gang a bit bigger. All 4 are in swimming, Mini and Samroc go the furthest out to swim for the ball, Diva really just goes along for the ride and Jazz is still a bit unsure of how to swim - unco would be a good old auzzie word for it :-).

Anyhoo, to make life easy I use 2 tennis balls, 1 for Sam and the other for Mini. Diva and Jazzy just play with them. So Mini's well far out and Sammy was on his way back to shore. Diva and Jazz are hanging around the shallow along with a few randoms who came down to play. I look up to see wee Mini and about 30m from her I saw a fin go underwater.


Panic alert - the news is full of shark sightings at the moment and it has been known for a shark to come this far up the river - what do I do if I see it going for her, OMG - I gave myself a shake and tried to think rationally - but it's my Minmin out there........

I called for her to hurry up and took off all the leads which were hanging over my shoulder and threw them on the ground - do I take my shoes off to swim faster - what will I do if I get there and it's munching into her - aaarrgggg, she was gaining in the shoreline and all the others were jumping and barking in the water - stop the attention, get the others out of the water and if I walk away may be Mini will swim faster. I picked up the leads again and started walking backwards, calling her with a slight desperation in my voice.......

Have you ever noticed when you are all hyped up and in a bit of a state everything seems to go every other way than what you want. I got the dogs out the water - Diva runs back in and lies down there, I get her out and Jazz does the same thing, I get her out and one of the randoms comes running over and jumping about splashing in the water, jumping onto mine, egging them on, then Diva and Jazz are scattered again - Mini for god's sake hurry up.......


She's now about say 10m from shore and I'm about to either have a fit or faint and she didn't have a care in the world. The positive words of encouragement had now flown out the window along with the keeping the others out and my words resorted to things like "just hurry up or you'll never get to swim again - hurry up or I'll take the ball off you" - what the......











Again the fin apears but this time it was say 50m out - and there were 3 of them - after all that it was dolphins..........

I love watching them swim down there and have only seen them 1ce before. The panic mode turned to a state of awe. I was staring at them in amazement and glee until I was disturbed by a high pitched squeek - and again - Mini shouting to me to throw the ball back in again......... awww wee Minmin :-))

No comments: