Sunday, January 4, 2009

Fancy food or horror film prop

Well getting into this life approach in 2009 I thought I'd be ever so daring and try something new - I'm not much into cooking - can do not too badly when I actually take the prep. time and have my heart into it - on the whole though my dinners compile of random acts of food - depending on the mood of the day - not usually a proper healthy cooked meal though. I don't really like Italian food - well at least the strong tomato paste based dishes, and mexican too for the same reason - oriental is nice when you're in the mood and Indian is yum - but can't seem to find a decent take away - got an indian cook book and it provides me the means to making a flamin' good curry - takes heaps of time though (not to mention all the dishes to clean afterwards) and it uses tomato paste - but I cannot taste in these dishes unlike the sauces you get from a jar - ewwww - so the quick alternative is something quick and usually unhealthy - I do eat a lot of fruit so I believe this is a good balance :-))

So I was in IGA and they have a range of weird and wacky foods in their deli section - well coming from a background where haggis, tatties and neeps, stovies, hotpot or a stew was a regular on the table I think the range of foods is weird.

I bought a tub of pasta with the dressing and it had spinach and sundried toms, which is ok and then I saw it - octopus, it was in some marinade and I just had to get a bit. So for tea I had the pasta and octopus.



















Not sure at first if I could actually eat it so I just had to take some photos of the dish first. So do I actually have enough courage to put this to my mouth, open and chew - hmmmm!!! the tentacle thingys look like they could be used to sucker onto the wall and hang pictures from - although I'm sure the aroma or old octopus would overrule the beauty of the picture after a while.

Well I ate it - I must admit it was bizarre. Now looking back at the photo's I can't believe that this actually went into my mouth, OMG. I mean am I being outright daft here? Is this a common dish to which families sit around the table eating whilst discussing their daily activities and pass the salt please honey??? hmmmm!!!!



The pasta was nice though - plain and simple. The first bit of the suckers was a bit - rubbery :-)) didn't taste fishy or seafoody - the texture was a bit slimy and sluggish like - not that I eat many slugs (or can remember as an infant that is), and the pickle it was in seemed to overrule the actual flavour of the meat (rubber). The longer thinner piece was probably the worst - I swear it was still moving as it was being gnarled and ground about my mouth.

Well now as a well cultured food connoisseur (lol) and when I hold the dinner party with your invite in the post - guess what you'll be having -















.......probably a take away from the local Chinese :-)

No comments: